Second round of seed sowing

Saturday, February 16, 2008
Seeds planted February 3, 2008

Nestled under the grow lights are my latest plantings: three types of peppers and two floral candidates for my flower box project. In peppers, I'm growing the sweet red Buran variety that did very well for me last year. In the second package from the left, I have a new-to-me variety called Bull Nose -- another sweet pepper that I chose for its interesting name. Next are the poblano chiles. Michael loves chiles rellenos, so these are all for him!

In flowers, the stunning blue lobelia has become a staple in my garden. I always start the seeds early in the year because they grow so slowly. Once the plants starts blooming, though, they keep going all summer. With short mounds of tiny blue flowers, lobelia is perfect along edges and tucked at the base of taller plants. I haven't yet found another flower that matches the depth of lobelia's dreamy deep blue.

The last one in the row is Dusty Miller. It's silvery foliage will make a nice filler for the flower boxes. This is the first time I'm trying this one from seed.

14 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Looks like you're going to have lots of wonderful plants for your garden this spring, Christa. What's the most challenging thing you're sowing?

10:53 AM  
Blogger Shady Gardener said...

Good job! It'll be fun to see how things turn out for you. :-)

6:07 PM  
Blogger Robin's Nesting Place said...

I wish I had some Dusty Miller seeds to try, I'll have to look for some. I planted it last year and loved it next to the Russian sage and lambs ears. I had planned, at some point, to do a post on that combination.

6:31 PM  
Blogger kate said...

I love the blue of Lobelia as well - it was good to see your seedlings! Onward to spring!

6:37 PM  
Blogger Diana said...

You go girl. You seedlings are cute. Mine are hitting the top of the cloche and when I took them out they tried to die. I need to repot them and try again this week. Any tips? I took them from tray to the peat pots that stay nice and damp in my 2 cloches. I'm afraid they're going to croak if I move them!

11:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Christa, I've been gone for two weeks and I feel so far behind in starting seeds! Yikes! I'm also planting chiles for chile rellenos. My grandmother lived in New Mexico, and this was my favorite food when we visited in the summers.

I've nominated you for an Excellent Blog Award. Please see my latest post for details. I'm enjoying your blog immensely. Thank you.

2:39 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

Oh, lobelia is wonderful--great choice!

I'm excited to hear how the bull nose peppers grow for you. I considered them as well, but went for red ruffled pimiento instead.

I had an idea: would you be up for seed swapping this fall after harvest?

3:11 PM  
Blogger Matron said...

Good luck with your chillis! They need a good long growing season and benefit from an early planting. I am taking my life in my hands this year and planting some hot carribbean Scotch bonnet chillis ! gulp!

4:08 AM  
Blogger Jane O' said...

Wow! Is it time already? I'd better get going.
The lobelia would look great with our blue sky this morning.

4:08 PM  
Blogger Bev said...

Christa, I LOVE Lobelia too! You have inspired me to get some seeds and try them this year. Also good idea about the Larkspur. I don't have any room for indoor seeding and frosts remain so late here in CO that it is really challenging to grow from seed. But thanks to you I am now inspired!

12:31 PM  
Blogger Robin (Bumblebee) said...

Good grief. Everyone has seeds going but me! It just seemed too early considering the last frost date here is May 1.

This is finally the weekend for it...

Robin at Bumblebee

5:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's cool (and it reminds me I still have to pick this year's direct-seeded FLOWERS)! You're a little ahead of the start time for around here. I'm really enjoying this first year of watching other gardens get rolling!!

6:11 PM  
Blogger Whyite said...

No winter in your house once those seeds get to sprouting. I love dusty miller as it lasts throughout our brutal summers and looks good in the winter.

9:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Christa, Great post, but Don't forget about the peas!

- A slightly pea-obsessed reader in Annapolis!

2:37 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Home